Missouri prosecutors charge 2 adults in Chiefs Super Bowl parade shooting [Update]

Must read

Updated Feb. 20: Missouri prosecutors have officially filed murder charges against two adults after last week’s shooting that killed one and injured 22 during the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl parade.

Andy Reid should’ve won Super Bowl MVP for his overtime management

Domin Miller and Lindell Mays will face charges of second-degree murder, two counts of armed criminal action, and unlawful use of a weapon, according to Jackson County prosecutor Jean Peters Baker via ABC News.

The charges come after two juveniles were detained on gun-related and resisting arrest charges in the immediate aftermath of the parade.

Baker noted in a press conference that Mays engaged in a “verbal argument” at the parade with someone he had not previously met.

“That argument very quickly escalated to Mays” drawing a handgun, and “almost immediately, others pulled their firearms.”

Baker added that Lisa Lopez-Galvan, the local radio host who died from gunshot wounds during the parade, was fatally shot by a bullet from Miller’s gun. Both men are currently in the hospital recovering from injuries sustained during the shooting. Both are currently held on a bond of $1 million, per Baker.


Two juvenile suspects in the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade shooting have been charged, according to reports.

Jackson County, Missouri Family Court Division officials said the unidentified minors are currently facing gun and resisting arrest charges — but more could be coming.

“The juveniles are currently detained in secure detention at the Juvenile Detention Center on gun-related and resisting arrest charges,” the court said in a statement. “It is anticipated that additional charges are expected in the future as the investigation by the Kansas City Police Department continues.”

More than 20 people were shot, and one — Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a popular local radio DJ — was killed during the mass shooting.

According to a Kansas City PD spokesperson, a third minor who was detained that day was released Thursday after investigators determined they weren’t involved in the shooting.

The shooting instead “appeared to be a dispute between several people that ended in gunfire,” Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves told reporters during a Thursday press conference.

“Preliminary investigative findings have shown there is no nexus to terrorism or homegrown violent extremism,” the chief added.

Twenty-three people – at least 11 of whom were children – were hit by bullets. The youngest victim was 8, according to Graves.

The juvenile defendants may face a mandatory certification hearing to determine whether they are tried as adults, the Kansas City Star is reporting.

In a statement, the Chiefs said they were “truly saddened by the senseless act of violence that occurred” and their “hearts go out to the victims, their families, and all of Kansas City.”

This is the area’s 25th mass shooting in the past five years. It also isn’t the only championship celebration marred by gun violence. At least 10 people were wounded in a mass shooting while celebrating the Denver Nuggets’ NBA title, and shots were fired near the Texas Ranger’s World Series victory parade.

More articles

Latest article